Sunday, March 16, 2014


Finally the blue flower is done!  Something I've discovered with embroidering is that knots are treacherous.  In the previous post, the only way I could get the knot out was to cut it and start over.  A waste of thread and lost time.

Here's what it looked like wants I started adding the white thread:
I did a crisscross pattern in the light blue petals and added a set of three daisy stitches to the dark petals.  I then went through and added french knots to all the dots in the pattern. 
The end result--

My next project for the coming week is something I mentioned in an earlier post.  A friend of mine is pregnant.  One of the things I remember from when I was growing up is the cross stitch birth announcement that my grandma made for me.  I thought it would be nice to do the same for my friend.  She loves owls and I saw a kit on line for a cross stitch owl announcement and thought it would be cute to make for her.  So, I had hoped to start it this past week, but things veered from their course.  This coming week is when I'll start attempting it.

To show what I am in for this coming week, I have a little preview.  First the pattern.

Yes, a key is provided.  But the fabric provided is bigger than the image.  They also give a set amount of thread.  No extra for excessive mistakes.  No guidelines either.  It's up to me to figure out what goes where and in the right ratio.
Wish me luck!

Sunday, March 9, 2014

Free-hand flower!

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to finish this project this week.  It was way more intricate than I thought and is going to be finished up next week. But here's what I have so far.

I did quite a bit, however, I ran into a knot and decided that would be a good stopping point for this week.  I'll finish it up next week.


Sunday, March 2, 2014

Second project

I decided this week I would do something a little more intricate than last week.  It took way longer than I expected it too, but the final product was quite nice.  Ultimately, this will end up on my wall.  I will be switching it up in the coming weeks.  I purchased a kit (I know I said I wouldn't!) for a friend that is having a baby.  The kit doesn't have a design on it and is completely free hand.  No blue lines to follow, but there are directions.

But first, something I forgot to mention in my previous post.  Thread is fickle.  It can be difficult to get it to lay flat and keep from twisting, pulling into a tight mess.  In the book that I pulled the design from last week (and this week), the author recommended separating the thread.  Each thread comes with six strands. Separating the thread from each other helps to keep the thread flat and from twisting in on itself.  

Now on to the project.  The design I chose has a middle eastern flair to it and I decided to use three colors: a bluish purple, light purple, and lime green.

The loom I used was a 6in loom and gives an idea of how big the design is. With the colors I chose, the design will be quite bright.
Unfortunately, I forgot to take in progress pictures with this one, but I do have a nice one of the final product.
I am quite happy with how it came out.  My lines aren't straight, but it's my creation and I'll get better as I go along. I like the mix of the purple and green.  The imperfections just add to the design.

Next week, I'll be free-handing a design!